"Changing Your Oil is a lot easier than Changing Your Engine"
Oil is the lifeblood of your engine, and not changing it can result in very costly problems down the road.
You have certainly heard how important it is that you regularly take your car in for an oil change - Mesa, AZ is home to Accurate Automotive, which would like to stress just how critical it is that you keep a watchful eye on your car’s oil. Doing so is perhaps the single most important thing you can do to preserve your automobile’s health. And while it may seem like a simple and routine task, all too many people fail to take their cars in for an oil change. Mesa, AZ residents would be wise to get routine oil changes.
Almost everybody knows that a car’s oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or so, and at least a substantial number of people follow this rule. But Accurate Automotive would like drivers to know more than just that they should worry about when to change oil. Mesa AZ technicians at Accurate Automotive would like to explain to drivers how to change their oil. Accurate Automotive is firmly committed to the philosophy that drivers should know as much as possible about their cars. From this knowledge, drivers will be better equipped to give their car the attention it needs to drive optimally and last longer.
As far as a car’s oil is concerned, cars simply run better on clean oil. And in addition to making a car run better changing the oil regularly will prolong the life of the engine. In fact, with how well cars are built these days, staying on top of oil changes and other important maintenance steps can help a car to last just about indefinitely.
Drivers have two options when it comes to oil changes: They can perform the oil change personally, or they can take their car to Accurate Automotive to have the service performed. The benefits to bringing the car into Accurate are extensive. First off, leaving maintenance work to the professionals is inexpensive and efficient. In only a little bit of time, the technicians at Accurate can perform the oil change and return the car to the driver. Also, when leaving the oil change to Accurate, drivers do not have to worry about disposing of the oil. Finally, it is always a good idea to have a technician periodically look over a car to check for problems, and Accurate Automotive technicians do this with every oil change.
But for those who enjoy getting under the hood of their car, performing an oil change can be an easy way to do so. Drivers who are interested in performing their oil change should follow these steps:
- Take the car for a drive to warm up the oil
- Find a flat spot to park the car, keep the car in gear and set the emergency brake.
- Use blocks behind the tires to ensure the car is stable.
- Use a jack to raise the front end of the car and set it on jack stands.
- Locate the oil pan and loosen the nut located on the bottom of the pan. Do not remove this nut all the way – only loosen it a little to prevent the oil from spilling everywhere.
- Place the drain pan under the oil pan and remove the nut all of the way. Allow all of the oil to drain into the pan – this will take a couple of minutes.
- Locate the oil filter and use the oil filter wrench to remove it carefully. Take caution here because the oil inside the filter will be hot.
- Remove the oil cap from under the hood of the car.
- If you have time, allow the oil to drain completely for 30 minutes or so.
- Coat the seal on the new oil filter with oil and secure the new filter to the car
- Put a new seal on the drain plug and replace the plug into the pan.
- Remove the drip pan from underneath the car.
- Dispose of the old oil properly.
- Using a funnel, fill the engine with new oil.
- Replace the oil cap and start the engine.
- Use the dipstick to make sure the oil level is appropriate.
Drivers should bear in mind that while they can take these steps to change their oil personally, it is almost always easier to leave this task to the technicians at Accurate Automotive.
Put simply, it makes little sense to do your own oil change. Mesa, AZ residents in particular would not be economical to change their own oil because Accurate Automotive provides the utmost level of service for a more than reasonable price.
Oil undergoes thermal breakdown due to high operating temperature. When this occurs, the oil becomes less effective as a lubricant. And without a good lubricant expensive parts of the engine rub together and wear each other out. Oil also contains additives that have the ability to neutralize acids. Over time, these additives get used up and stop being effective.
No matter what the vehicle or the brand and type of oil or additives you use, we do not recommend exceeding 5,000 miles between oil changes. Texas, and Austin in particular gives you as about a wide range of a driving environment as it gets. It gets pretty cold, very hot (sometimes in the same day) and is always humid. You can have very short trips. Which means your car doesn't get to or stay at operating temperature. You can sit in stop and go traffic or blow down the highway at 80 mph. All of these factor into the oil life and its ability to protect and lubricate.
As long as you use a good quality oil and a good quality filter we recommend changing your and oil and filter every 4,000 miles for vehicles with less then 50,000 miles and every 3,000 miles with vehicles over 50,000 miles.
Synthetics? As long as you stick to a regular schedule studies show no significant added protection over the life of an engine. In our opinion its not worth the added expense even if it extends the interval to 5,000 miles.
Another good reason to keep this average interval to 4,000 miles is the benefit of regular inspections of the whole vehicle. (Courtesy Check) Tires lose air pressure, air filters get dirty, leaks form, etc... catching these things early will save you money and time down the road as well.